I am fed up with politicians, special interest groups, and Internet monkeys attempting to 'renew' and 'revitalize' downtown, and other economically depressed areas in the City with their anti-capitalism ideas that continue to destroy the ecomomy of the city.
Taking heavily from a survey that appeared in the May 15, 1981 issue of the London Downtown Metro Bulletin, I created a survey for business owners.
In all the years I have heard from everyone else on the subject, I have never heard from the business owners themselves. I guess nobody bothered to ask them in the past three decades.
1) Is your business a:
2) Is your business a:
3) How many employees do you maintain?
Contract (temperary or ongoing)
4) How long has this particular business been in operation?
5) Do you have other locations?
If yes, which malls? (Comment)
If not Citi Plaza (downtown) then, why not? (Comment)
6) Why did your business set-up downtown? (Comment)
at a mall? (Comment)
7) Do you consider your rent/mortgage (whichever is applicable) for your business space:
Have you experienced an increase in rent/mortgage in the last year?
If yes, then:
Less than 10%
10% to 20%
21% to 39%
40% to 60%
More than 60%
9) What are your largest costs of doing business? (select all that apply)
Taxes (specify if you wish to)
Government laws and regulations (specify if you wish to)
Other crime (specify if you wish to)
Licencing (specify if you wish to)
Utilities (specify if you wish to)
City by-laws (specify if you wish to)
City zoning laws (specify if you wish to)
10) How will you deal with increases in the cost of doing business?
Reduction of staff
Move from present location
11) In the last 2 years, has your business:
Stayed the same
12) In the next 2 years, do you expect your business to:
Stay the same
13) How do you feel about government subsidies to business? (Comment)
14) Have you ever participated in subsidy programs?
15) Can you recollect the specific programs?
16) Did the subsidies help substantially?
17) Do you approve of subsidies for your competitors?
18) Do you want a government-regulated tax-funded Business Improvement Association (BIA)?
If yes, should the Board of Management be elected by the surtaxed business people?
If no, do you believe there is a need for a collective body to organize business owners in your area?
If Yes, comment on how this could be done.
19) What factors positively impact your business? (Comment)
17) What factors negatively impact your business? (Comment)
18) What should, or should not, government do to help your business? (Comment)
© Trevor Dailey
This page is revised from time to time.